Sunday, June 20, 2010

Cherry Crumble

Oven 180° C
Preparation 15 minutes
Cooking time 15 + 20 minutes

 

I can't believe that another Sunday has arrived.

cherry crumbleRecently, I've mentioned a few times that my orchard is laden with fruit this year and, at the moment, it's cherry time.

I have several cherry trees which produce fruit in a rather orderly succession.   I can't take any credit for this delightful fact though, as the trees were planted many years before I took over guardianship of this piece of land.

Today, for Sunday lunch I prepared a simple dinner of roast chicken with roast vegetables.  Potatoes, from the garden via the freezer, Fennel, picked this morning and an onion and carrots from the market.  I also made a traditional sage and onion stuffing.

For desert I decided that I had to use the delights of the orchard and eventually decided on Cherry Crumble.  As you can see, once it was made, it looked far too good to worry about taking photographs....

Here's what I did:

 

Cherry Crumble

 

 

A bowl full of freshly picked cherries
A few drops water
A knob of butter
A tablespoon of sugar

For The Crumble Topping


4oz butter
4oz demerara sugar
7oz Flour

It's simple 1:1:2 butter, sugar, flour crumble mix...... 
but I usually cut the flour back a bit and use demerara sugar....

Pre heat the oven to 180° C

Pick a bowl full of cherries.
Remove stalks and wash them
Destone the cherries and half fill an ovenproof dish

Once I have put the cherries in an oven proof dish.....oven to table dish...... I then sprinkle some sugar over them. The cherries will be wet from washing and destoning so I don’t add any further water.   Add a knob of butter and bake until the cherries are just cooked. (about 15 minutes)

Add the 1:1:2 crumble mixture on the top...not underneath or it gets messy...on top of the cherries and return to the oven for a bit longer.... About 20 minutes

When it's black, it's burnt..

Eat with lashings of a runny cream

No comments:

Post a Comment